The Crocheted Michigan Wolverines Logo can be utilized in multiple ways including in a scarf, beanie hat, blanket, or garment. It is perfect to include in a gift for any Alabama fan!
To be honest with you, I am a Nebraska Cornhuskers Fan. I have a previous post where I made a custom Huskers Scarf for myself and I love it! I know that there are tons of college and pro teams out there, so I have decided to do a logo series, so hopefully, most people will find use in this!
Today I made the Michigan Wolverines bold “M” logo. I didn’t have any Michigan yellow golf in my stash, but I was still happy with the clean and simple results. It would look great added to the end of a scarf or to the front of a beanie hat for those cold game nights!
I created this pattern as part of my “logo” series. Some logos lend themselves better to crochet design due to be more “blocky” in nature, curvy logos are harder, also those with many colors.
You can use this pattern block in a scarf or a blanket. You can also take the logo part of the pattern and use it on a beanie hat or on a shirt. This is a pattern for only the logo, so the possibilities are endless!
To make a logo like this, you can use a grid (like graph paper) and fill in boxes in the shape of the logo. Then you will use basically a tapestry crochet technique to follow the pattern.
This means you will do all single crochet, and you will use 2 (or more colors), while carrying the working yarn along while you are crocheting. Each “block” of your graph paper is one single crochet.
When you get to a “filled” block (like for your logo), you change colors, then change back for each “empty” block. You do not cut your yarn, you just continue to work over the yarn, changing colors frequently, until you are done with the color-changing sections, then you can cut your yarn and have the tail weaved in (either by working over or weaving in after.)
So for this pattern, I went with gold and blue since that is what I had, but I recommend using a more yellow-gold color to get the true Michigan colors of maize and blue.
Below are the pattern and the video tutorial.
Let’s get on with HOW to actually make the Crocheted Michigan Wolverines Logo!
First, let’s talk materials.
I used “I Love This Yarn” medium weight acrylic yarn from Hobby Lobby.
About 0.5 oz Blue and 0.5 oz Gold. A very small amount, nowhere near a full skein.
I use a size H/5.0 mm aluminum crochet hook.
You’ll want something to cut your yarn (scissors, nail clippers, etc) and a tapestry needle to weave in ends.
You’ll also need either the written pattern (keep reading) or the chart version of the pattern found at the bottom of the page.
*Note: The chart version is a pictorial representation of where color changes happen in the pattern. If you prefer this versus the written format, go to the chart. To use the chart work from bottom right and go back and forth in rows.
Finished size: 4 by 5.5 inches
Stitch Abbreviations Used
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
cc = Change colors
- At the end of each row, I do not chain one and then turn, I just turn and go straight into my first sc. I find that I get a straighter edge that way. Feel free to chain one, then turn if that is what you prefer.
- When changing colors during the single crochet stitch: yarn over, insert hook, pull up loop, change colors then pull a loop through both loops on hook.
Foundation chain: in color A-ch 20, turn
- Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and each across, turn (19 sc)
- Row 2: sc in each stitch across, turn
- Row 3: sc 2, cc to B sc 5, cc to A sc 5, cc to B sc 5, cc to A sc 3, turn
- Row 4: sc 2, cc to B sc 5, cc to A sc 5, cc to B sc 5, cc to A sc 3, turn
- Row 5: sc 2, cc to B sc 5, cc to A sc 2, cc to B sc 1, cc to A sc 2, cc to B sc 5, cc to A sc 2, turn
- Row 6: sc 3, cc to B sc 3, cc to A sc 2, cc to B sc 3, cc to A sc 2, cc to B sc 3, cc to A sc 3, turn
- Row 7: sc 3, cc to B sc 3, cc to A sc 1, cc to B sc 5, cc to A sc 1, cc to B sc 3, cc to A sc 3, turn
- Row 8: sc 3, cc to B sc 13, cc to A sc 3, turn
- Row 9: sc 3, cc to B sc 13, cc to A sc 3, turn
- Row 10: sc 3, cc to B sc 6, cc to A sc 1, cc to B sc 6, cc to A sc 3, turn
- Row 11: sc 2, cc to B sc 6, cc to A sc 3, cc to B sc 6, cc to A sc 2, turn
- Row 12: sc 2, cc to B sc 5, cc to A sc 5, cc to B sc 5, cc to A sc 2, turn
- Row 13: sc 2, cc to B sc 4, cc to A sc 7, cc to B sc 4, cc to A sc 2, turn
- Row 14-15: sc in each stitch across
Fasten off and weave in ends
Click here for the Crocheted Michigan Wolverines Logo chart.
With my written pattern, chart, and video; I am trying to appeal to all the learning styles. Is there another way that YOU would like to help YOU learn more?? Let me know in the comments!
Now it is time for YOU to Get Crafty with Ashy!
©CROCHETED MICHIGAN WOLVERINES LOGO
Please do not copy, redistribute or sell my pattern in any way. All photos/videos, designs, and patterns are copyright of Crafty with Ashy unless otherwise noted. Please do not claim my content as your own. If you repost, please credit to my original work. You are more than welcome to sell your finished Crocheted Michigan Wolverines Logo. I ask that you please credit me for the pattern.